Re: Modifier mapping in X11

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Re: Modifier mapping in X11
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:22:29 +0900

Adrian Robert wrote:

Looks like a sort of design change rather than a bug fix. Though I'm not
sure whether letting GNUstep depend on X11 explicitly is the right thing
to do in this particular case,

This is a patch just to part of the X-windows back-end used on Unix/Linux systems, not the "GUI" or "Base" libraries that implement the OpenStep standard.

If the patch were applied to GNUstep, GNUstep would always be forced
to observe any key bindings established by X11 when the X11 back-end
is used.  By "letting GNUstep depend on X11", I tried to mean the
resulting whole system behavior GNUstep would show, not the place to
which the patch is applied...

I assume the resulting behavior itself is just what you want GNUstep
to do; however, there's only one thing I'm worrying about - the way
of implementing it.

In principle, any multi-platform environment is supposed to be designed
to be independent of any characteristics of the underlying systems,
so that the users won't need to recognize any difference between
platforms in use to exploit such environment effectively.  Accordingly,
if GNUstep needs some mechanism that facilitates key swappings, it
should implement that mechanism for itself in such a way that it
doesn't rely directly on the underlying window system, if possible.

Unfortunately, the patch doesn't meet the principle above, just my
thoughts though.  Of course, if the principle doesn't yield any
practical solution to this particular problem, the story differs...

Regards,
- Kazunobu Kuriyama