Re: Upcoming releases

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Upcoming releases
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:38:19 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:

I'd like to do this change now, in the timeslot between this release and
the next one, as recommended by Adam.
Good that we're takckeling this now.

As far as I am aware, we have reached a complete decision already (except
for some details).
Well :-) if we can live with ...

The main downside of the proposed change is:

- slightly increased number of top-level directories in Headers/.  In
practice, all directories which were previously in Headers/gnustep/ now
would be top-level in Headers/.

then, yes.  I must have missed the corresponding followup though ;-)
[snip]

such as putting all gnustep-base
headers either in Foundation/ or in GNUstepBase/, so unicode/ would *not*
be a top-level directory, but inside one of those two), and keeping in
mind that stuff which will never be used as a framework (such as gnustep
backends) does not need to be all top-level: all gnustep backend headers,
when installed, might be in GNUstepBack/{backend-name}/ rather than having
separate top-level dirs for each backend.  Using those things together
would already reduce clutter considerably.

Yes, in fact, IIRC we had already decided that GNUstepBack is *not* needed, as -back shouldn't publicize *any* headers. If they are curretnly needed by someone, we would move the declarations into that poject and more carfully deisgn the interface to -gui to support the needed API in the long run.

The proposed steps are:

1. make --enable-flattened the default (done!)

2. if library-combos are used, modify gnustep-make to install all headers
in Headers/$LIBRARY_COMBO/ rather than Headers/, and look for headers
there. (leaving -Ixxx/gnustep/ in place for the moment being).

3. modify gnustep-base and gnustep-gui to install headers in:

   {header dir chosen by gnustep-make}/Foundation/
   {header dir chosen by gnustep-make}/GNUstepBase/
   {header dir chosen by gnustep-make}/AppKit/
   {header dir chosen by gnustep-make}/GNUstepGUI/

   the reason why those libraries are to be done first is that they
compose the library-combo - having them in library-combo keyed directories when library-combos are used is one of our targets.

If you want to rearrange the headers inside the gnustep-base source tree itself, this would be a good occasion.

   Update all callers/users of gnustep-base-additions to include
   headers using #include <GNUstepBase/Xxx.h>.
I'll start on this right away...

Cheers,
David