Re: RFC: Framework support in -make

From: Frederic De Jaeger
Subject: Re: RFC: Framework support in -make
Date: 08 May 2003 23:53:52 +0200

SU> I cannot, because some shells (bash or csh for example) are destroying
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. Try this in csh (or similar in bash):
SU> $ setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /home
SU> $ csh
SU> $ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
SU> /home
SU> (we are in new csh)
SU> $ xterm
SU> (we are in new xterm)
SU> $ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
SU> LD_LIBRARY_PATH: Undefined variable.

SU> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is also lost when you source GNUstep.sh in
SU> .xinitrc.

The shells aren't destroying LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I bet that your xterm
is suid root.  That is the cause of LD_LIBRARY_PATH being cleared.
It is a security measure that all decent Unices honor.  It is  against
a trivial exploit if the kernel would allow LD_LIBRARY_PATH affect
suid programms  (The standard semantic is "read first
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then /etc/ld.so.conf", thus it's very easy to write a
trojaned libc and then call any suid programm).

Just remove the suid bit of xterm (it's almost useless, just for utmp
accounting) and you will see that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not destroyed
anymore.

Maybe this should be in some FAQ, because the first time I ran in this
problem, I lost several hours.

Cheers,

  Frederic De Jaeger