Re: Some diffs to optimize drawing

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Some diffs to optimize drawing
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 15:17:44 +0000

On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 05:27  am, Nicola Pero wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Benhur Stein wrote:

Hi all.

Here are some diffs to lots of classes in gui that do some
optimizations in the way things are drawn.

Basically what is done is the following:

Remove lockFocus from draw methods in cell (and view) classes. Those
methods should always be called with focus locked.

Ok.

Yes - I think you are right, and we have been basically wrong for quite a
long time. :-)

I think this is because Adam and I decided to leave it that (some years ago now), as removing the lockFocus caused a lot of real life cases of matrixes to look a complete mess, with text from one cell getting drawn over into an
adjacent cell etc.

Of course this was the wrong thing to do ... what should have been done
was to fix the text drawing to constrain itsself to the cell rectangle properly, but neither of us had the time/knowhow to fix that correctly ... so we opted
for inefficient code which at least made the apps at the time usable.

So ... I agree that this change is the 'right' thing to to, but it's quite likely it
has still been masking some other problems, and we need to look out for
and fix them as soon as we can.