Re: GNUstep release 0.7.5

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep release 0.7.5
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:45:45 +0200

Dan Pascu wrote:

> On 15 Oct, Fred Kiefer wrote:
> > - The window manager interaction I did propose in one of the last mails
> > should be implemented, so that GNUstep works together with any current
> > window manager.
>
> I don't see how this will help at all. Not all window managers
> implement them (there may be just a few which actually do).
> Also the gnome/kde2 hints specify what a window manager should do about
> specific parts of those environments like pagers, panels, taskbars, ...
> If a window manager implements them it will better interact with that
> specific environment and its elements. I fail to see how GNUstep can
> benefit from adding hints about a different environment's elements, as
> long as it doesn't provide the same elements with the same behavior.

Hi Dan,

you are right that most of the specification covers the interaction
between a window manager and its environment. And most of this is
currently of no relevance for GNUstep, as you pointed out. But there are
some messages and attributes that should be set by client applications
and these are the ones we should implement. I am thinking of
_NET_WM_NAME, _NET_WM_ICON_NAME, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE, _NET_WM_PID,
_NET_WM_HANDLED_ICONS.
Also there is the _NET_WM_PING protocol we should implement.

Fred