Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-arm behaviour

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] gnunet-arm behaviour
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 13:49:08 +0200

On 5/2/19 10:44 AM, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Am 01.05.19 um 10:35 schrieb Christian Grothoff:
>> Are you aware that our logging subsystem can do log rotation (and that
>> we would then only keep the logs for the last 3 days)?
>

> IMO gnunet should not re-implement operating system tasks, for several
> reasons:
>
> - logging should be done using the platforms mechanisms to ease the
> users' live

It can be, but there are platforms where this is not done. And we should
minimize logs for both data protection and just survivability (on small
systems with limited disk space things might run out of space).

> - the OS logging subsystem should be able to take care of rotation, disk
> exhaustion, what ever,

Right, are you sure *all* OSes do this? Are you sure it is configured
always correctly by default?

> - implementing all of log-subsystem features again is a huge effort,
> waste of (wo)men-power and time

... which was done in GNUnet ~10 years ago.

> On 5/1/19 7:45 AM, IC Rainbow wrote:
>
>> Maybe log in ~/.local/share/gnunet by default?
>
> IMHO this is a bad place, as barely nobody would look for logs here,
> esp. not in "share".
>
> For Linux it might be worth having a look at how to manage services
> under the user's control with a per-user systemd instance [2], including
> proper logging.

We're not talking about a systemd setup here. If systemd is used to
*properly* start GNUnet, we would use systemd-style logging.  Btw, I
tried and failed to get this working: note that what we'd want is that
systemd launches gnunet-service-arm *directly* (without gnunet-arm) and
thus remains the parent process of gnunet-service-arm and can stop the
peer with SIGTERM, restart using SIGHUP, and receives logging for
journald via stderr.  But when I tried this, I got an obscure log
message from systemd (but it's been a while).