Re: [GNUnet-developers] mob branch (Re: Updating my git work-in-progess

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] mob branch (Re: Updating my git work-in-progess branch?)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 22:07:17 +0000

Christian Grothoff transcribed 1.5K bytes:
> On 3/16/19 2:34 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> > Would anyone else involved in the decision and administration process
> > be okay with a branch where anyone could push to?
> > My idea is like this, at least the general principle of it:
> > https://repo.or.cz/mob.html
> > Since we require the CAA we could then pick patches from
> > this branch and merge them into the official branch.
> >
> > Iff we change to Gitlab I'm not sure if this would still be possible
> > or even necessary.
> >
> > My idea is that instead of "send a patch" we have another
> > option for people to send patches - send to a remote we
> > can pick a patch from.
> >
> > As git admin my vote would be on yes, trying it. But I don't want
> > to make decisions without further feedback by other people
> > involved in that group.
>
> In principle, I like the idea.
>
> However, I'm afraid the lawyers won't. Without a reasonably consistent
> application of the CA policy, it is likely that we'll get into trouble
> with some lawyer at some point.  And obviously a mob branch from which
> patches _never_ get merged for lack of CA is not so useful.
>
> So I'd rather keep the barrier to Git write access very low -- filing
> out the CA form is not really asking that much I hope.  But again, this
> is me wearing purely the "legal" hat. If I could first change global
> copyright laws to my liking, my opinion on this would be very different ;-p

Okay. I assumed legal consequences could be summarized to what
you just wrote.
Sounds plausible.

However this leads to another question we should write about:
if someone on a regular basis provides code to the gnunet repository,
at which point do we decide that this needs a CAA? Is there a threshold?
How do we define "trivial patches" (I think we mention this on the
contributions page)?
Can a regular contributor be someone who does not sign the CAA or
will the step to regular contribution always lead to the CAA?
I'm asking really obvious questions here not from my perspective,
because these are questions people might have and we should answer
them.