Re: [GNUnet-developers] documentation: Rewriting the Installation Handbo

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] documentation: Rewriting the Installation Handbook with a focus on simplicity and coverage
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 10:34:51 +0000

Schanzenbach, Martin transcribed 4.8K bytes:
> TL;DR: There are no working binaries because there are not current/regular
> releases. The handbook should not claim what we cannot deliver. There are
> temporary mitigations, however, such as docker images that we could provide
> with 0 overhead given modern CI. Finally, compiling from source is for devs
> only and they should know what they are doing.
>
> Long version:
> The reason why docker is a good choice is because of our "release strategy".
> GNUnet has not seen a release in ages.

It's just been almost 4 years, it's not that long.

> The current "binaries" (deb, rpm?) are too old to be used.

And that's our problem how? For the Operating System side it works.
It's the most recent version. Some OS package newer versions from git.
If users ask for it, the obvious reaction should be working towards
a release. In some OS I've notified them of changes and helped working
to improve the packages they maintain.

> So if user A comes to irc and asks "hey, how to I get the most recent,
> working version?" the answer is:

So here's the thing... Why do we keep adding features to and not
concentrate on the couple of bugs that need to be fixed before we can
call it a new release?
From last July to December, and now almost again July we wanted to
get this done. Of course most (all?) of use are doing this in their
sparetime, and there's h2020, but we wouldn't have a discussion about
something like Docker. Grothoff told me (offlist) that the plan is to
move to release more often.
Docker is all around, everyone knows it, but it's no solution for everything.
Docker can be one option, not "hey, no releases and buiding from source is
too complicated, let's recommend Docker".

> 1. Don't use the binary packages (sic!)
> 2. Compile and install from git
>
> The latter requires a lot of knowledge and takes time and effort. And then
> you only have it installed along with a huge amount of dev dependencies the
> software does not even need to run!

I don't think software installed that you don't need at runtime is no problem.

> Imagine user A comes to irc and asks the same question.
> The answer could be: "No release, yet. You could use a docker image for the
> current upstream though. Then you just need to run $ docker run
> gnunet:latest".
> (And this answer works regardless of OS)

I'm not lobbying for Guix or Nix, but if that's the gist of your
reply, we could maintain a Nix or Guix package because they also run
on a variety of OS. At this point I'd rather that Devan gives some feedback
about docker, since I don't think Docker should be our 'only' reply to
easy running software.