Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: Incorrect test environments

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: Incorrect test environments
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:30:59 -0600

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 03:14:50 am Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christian Grothoff <address@hidden> writes:
> > Please read the README file with particular emphasis on the wording
> > around "GNUNET_PREFIX".  This should allow you to solve part of your
> > problem.
>
> Sorry for not seeing this!

;-)

> That said, it's quite unusual and inconvenient to require one to install
> the package to be able to test it.  It's inconvenient because one may
> notice that the new installation is "broken" once the previous one has
> been overwritten.

Technically yes, but I expect that "make check" is used by devs to test new
code and by packagers/porters to test ports; I don't think them finding out
that something does not work after doing the install is a problem in
practice.

> Adding the right `TEST_ENVIRONMENTS' in makefiles as I suggested would
> fix it.  What would you think of that?

I don't think your particular change scales -- for some of the more complex
tests the "TEST_ENVIRONMENTS" definition would end up being longer than the
rest of Makefile.am, and it is generally non-obvious what set of directories
is required.    We could have one global list and then include that
everywhere -- if you want to write such a patch (against Makefile.am), I'll
strongly consider adding it ;-).

Best,