[GNUnet-developers] Lost connection to MySQL server during query

From: Jan Marco Alkema
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Lost connection to MySQL server during query
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 10:02:45 -0700

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Igor Wronsky wrote:

Hello Igor,

I am very, very,.. happy with the gnunet port to MySQL ---)

You 'opened' my eyes that Iceman's proposition is "batch" inserting.

In the debug I see that position gets a strange value. I haven't see it
after I refreshed gnunet.conf

#12 0x40bb995a in activeMigrationCallback (receiver=0x806a190,
position=0x8069890 "o?\220&address@hidden", padding=1156)
    at migration.c:151

>On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Jan Marco Alkema wrote:

>> Apr 11 10:18:06 ERROR: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

>Here's your problem. Appeared in both cases. I've *never* lost 3.23.x
>mysqld during a query so I'd say 4.x has some internal problems,
>requires reconnection ability from the client or you've been
>shutting it down midway. Dunno. I don't know when it'll be fixed.
>The same goes for the configure part. If people want to use bleeding
>edge versions and/or put include files to weird places, they should
>also face the consequences of their actions.

I see the problem only on my fast (pentium 4) server. Only at the beginning,
when the system builds up from scratch. I got 4 SIGPIPE in a very short
period. After these 4 discruptions it works all the time.

I know in the foonrip project that we have some problems with lost
connections. I was related to the tuningsparameters of MySQL in relation to
('bad') programming. Every town has a '112' (in America '911') entry. If you
select all '112' entries it took longer than 3 minutes. 3 minutes is the
default longest time in MySQL that a query may take. This tunings paramater
can be changed, after analyzing the problem the solvation can be a change in
the query.

>To put it another way, it'd be nice to get the problems fixed,
>but personally I don't know if I will address those next week,
>next year or never. Current estimate is 'next year or if
>somebody else gets to it first'.

>Igor

Igor, I see 4 database with the same record format. If you want to search a
hash I don't hope that 4 queries are executed?

If I look to the MySQL record format gnunet seems to be more a (file) proxy
server than a 'file/database' sharing system.

Greetings Jan Marco

Appendix A: MySQL table definitions:

address@hidden gnunet]# mysqlshow gnunet
Database: gnunet
+-------------+
|   Tables    |
+-------------+
| data1024of0 |
| data1024of1 |
| data1024of2 |
| data1024of3 |
+-------------+
address@hidden gnunet]#

address@hidden gnunet]# mysqlshow gnunet data1024of0
Database: gnunet  Table: data1024of0  Rows: 211382

| Field      | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra | Privileges
| hash       | tinyblob    |      | PRI |         |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| priority   | int(11)     |      | MUL | 0       |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| type       | tinyint(4)  |      |     | 0       |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| fileIndex  | smallint(6) |      |     | 0       |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| fileOffset | int(11)     |      |     | 0       |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| doubleHash | tinyblob    |      |     |         |       |
select,insert,update,references |
| content    | mediumblob  |      |     |         |       |