Re: [GNUnet-developers] window port of gnunet-peer-info

From: Krista Bennett
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] window port of gnunet-peer-info
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:18:33 -0500

Jan Marco Alkema hath spoken thusly on Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 08:20:44PM -0800:
> Hello Christian, Igor,
>
> I think that the only problem to port to Windows is the use of threads.

Jan Marco:

There is a Cygwin version of pthreads. As Nils said, we're doing the port
under Cygwin. We're not at the point yet whether or not to judge threads
to be a problem any more so than anything else, unless you have some
specific knowledge of Linux-to-Cygwin compilation issues that happen to
involve threads and relate to GNUnet...

So, as mentioned, I'm doing the Windows port under Cygwin. Right now, I'm
cleaning up the build process and last minor compilation issues, but we
haven't yet reached the point where I'd suggest anyone decide we have a
problem with something in particular and jump in and work on it unless you
happen to know something about a problem Cygwin has with that aspect and
how it relates to GNUnet. (For instance, if anyone feels like digging into
the Cygwin source and implementing nanosleep(), I'm not going to complain
:)

(By the way, if there ARE Cygwin experts out there, speak up! ;)

I hope to have the instructions for how to install and configure Cygwin
for GNUnet development up on the web by sometime tomorrow night (Indiana
time). I've worked it all out, but haven't had time to post it. I'll post
known issues and bugs on Mantis, as usual. Additionally, I'll check in the
code that compiles under Cygwin tomorrow when the rest of the stuff goes
up.

Having spent some time looking into it now, I'd say that it may either
miraculously sort of work right off (although there is already a known
issue or two), or there will be a lot of problems, but I think stating
that "the only porting problem under Windows should be threads" is a
bit...  premature.

I hope that gives you enough to think about until I get stuff online. :)

- K

Krista Bennett                               address@hidden
Graduate Student
Interdepartmental Program in Linguistics
Purdue University

         If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit.
             There's no use being a damn fool about it.
                           -- W.C. Fields