gnucobol-users

Re: [GnuCOBOL-users] select same file twice?

From: Ron Norman
Subject: Re: [GnuCOBOL-users] select same file twice?
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 07:15:23 -0800

The test case results do have:  Expected ERROR 39....
Which is the correct result with or without using EXTFH.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 3:25 AM Simon Sobisch <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 27.02.2019 um 21:10 schrieb Ron Norman:
> The test case is testing that it gets status 39 due to the different
> record lengths.

Yes, that was what the test. But as the test is called "EXTFH: using
ISAM callback" that is really hard to catch.

We should adjust the test, at least adding a COBOL comment there and
extend AT_KEYWORDS to include the tested status 39.

> This works fine with C-ISAM, D-ISAM, VB-ISAM but will likely fail if you
> are using BDB.
> If you are using BDB, just ignore the test case failure.> BDB has no concept of a record size.
> If using BDB, on OPEN, the fileio.c code does a read of the first record
> and compares the length to what is in the COBOL code and may give you '39'

As we handle this for BDB it should not be ignored (and for LMDB work
identical if there's no "record size concept" there).
For BDB/LMDB we should add a (possibly optional) data dictionary, if
possible included (I think to remember there was an option to add
textual metadata to a BDB file), otherwise as a separate file (like
".dd") to allow full support for not specified ALTERNATE KEYs,
everything that is record specific, ...
I'm fine to have this postponed until rw-branch is fully merged.

Simon

--
Cheers
Ron Norman