gnu-system-discuss

Re: A proposed Roadmap

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: A proposed Roadmap
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 23:25:57 +0100

On 22/09/2007, Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> wrote:

>    Linux can be made 100% free (see gNewSense for example), so this is
>    not a useful argument against Linux.
>
> gNewSense seems "dead" or at least, it did not
> attract many people. Is that still the case ?

It didn't attract many peope, no, but it did spur Canonical to do
Gobuntu, on which the next gNewSense will be based, so I think some
gNS activity has been put on pause until Gobuntu is released. I also
hope Fedora will go fully free soon.

> I thought that one of the main advantage for a project to be
> part of the GNU was that the FSF was the sole copyright holder in
> case of any GPL violation.

AIUI, its highly advised but not a requirement, although I've never
seen a list of core GNU projects and their copyright holders status...
Perhaps someone might want to compile such a list some day... :-)

--
Regards,
Dave