gnu-system-discuss

Re: Package format/management ramblingss

From: Barry deFreese
Subject: Re: Package format/management ramblingss
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 18:23:03 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:

The dependency and relation features of Debian packages are very
important.  Our packaging systems, both temporary and ultimate, should
definitely have those features.

Agreed.  From a user perspective, I very much like dpkg/apt.

      Stow:

      Lightweight, easy to use package management utilizing .tar.gz
      archives.  Also happens to be a GNU project.

   Stow isn't really a package manager, but a symlink-farm creator.  Also
   stow does not use .tar.gz files, it uses a already installed package,
   a package that has been installed into a separate directory.

That is pretty close to the way Hurd-based package management will
work, so I think we should use Stow for the actual installation part
of the job.  That way, when we do theHurd-based package management,
it won't be too big a change.

Stow is small and reliant on Perl. If the goal is to write our own, why not do it now?

The general idea of the Hurd-based package management is that you
unpack a tar file as a directory, make a link to that directory from a
special place, and the contents are automatically installed.
So I think we should combine parts of these package systems:

* Use tar to unpack.

* The directory, as unpacked, contains the metadata to express
the relationships with other packages.

* Install the directory using Stow, perhaps with added features.
Later we'll replace Stow with the Hurd-based magic link feature.

So the the tarballs now contain the binary "application" and the metadata? So we must re-create every tarball? If that's the case, I like Marco's packagefs idea. Of course I really like what Jereon was saying today on #hurd about the pax format.

So we:

* pull the pax file which contains the package and the metadata (relationships, install paths for stow, pre/post scripts??) * the package gets dumped to packagefs which automagically creates the appropriate symlinks

Am I getting this correctly?? :-)

Mr. Stallman, maybe you should join us on freenode on occasion.. ;-P

--
Barry deFreese
Debian 3.0r1 "Woody"

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving
to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe
trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning." Rich Cook.