gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] the straw that broke the camel's back

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] the straw that broke the camel's back
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:45:06 -0400

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 14:07:03 +0200 Ricardo wrote:
> This is certainly a more convenient position to take when the
> alternative is to acknowledge defects in (or lack of) a
> consensus-finding process — not just in how free distributions cooperate
> (or rather *don’t*), but in any top-down decision.  Unfortunately, this
> is a common pattern in GNU and the wider community of free
> distributions.

im not sure what was the context of that; but i think i agree fully with that
statement

when i wrote that the FSF should be the leadership, that is mainly because
distros can not agree on some of the most essential things like "is foo libre or
not?"; and we are currently not allowed to do so by consensus

it would be ideal to form a consensus perhaps with "guidance" from the top; as
long as the community would be mature enough to accept the consensus,
_whatever_ that is, and work to change the opinions of those in disagreement