gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Third-Party Package Managers

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Third-Party Package Managers
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 23:14:30 -0400

On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 22:02:44 -0400 Richard wrote:
>   > that was why he mentioned it - he was adding the emacs repos to the very
> short
>   > list of third-party repos, which are known to have a strong libre
> licensing
>   > policy
>
> That makes sense.  Sorry for the noise.

np, that was constructive - i can refine that a bit more

the reason why i did not mention the emacs repos is because those are in a
special subclass: "in-app add-ons downloaders and binary auto-updaters" - as i
understand, the emacs repos are accessed only from within the emacs program;
but that is not the primary use of the emacs program - the emacs program
would be fully useful without them - there are another few dozen repos in that
class also (eg: mozilla ad-ons) - unless like emacs, the repo has strict
licensing standards (most dont), we usually disable that feature from
applications, or try to curate some of the packages in a distro-maintained repo

we have been limiting the research to package manager clients, applications
which only purpose is to interact with a third-party repo, on the basis that
those all could be excluded if necessary, without losing any applications