gnu-linux-libre

Re: [GNU-linux-libre] programs which only use-case is non-free Was: Addi

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] programs which only use-case is non-free Was: Adding some scummvm
Date: Wed, 03 May 2023 21:10:21 -0400

  > some have suggested that it conflicts with the "steering toward" guideline,
  > for an FSDG distro to distribute a program, which only known use-case (other
  > than hack to it out) is to install or wrap some other non-free program
  > (flash-player-installer is exemplary) - this is generally considered to be
  > "steering toward" use of some other non-free program, prohibited per the
FSDG

Normally what we mean by "steering users" towards installing a certain
(nonfree) program is text that suggests installing it.  For instance,
including that program in a list of programs available to install.

The scummvm case is quite different.  It is useful only for running
certain nonfree games.  Does this imply that offering to install
scummvm is tantamount to steering the user towards those nonfree
games?

This is a borderline case.  I think that "stearing towards" installing
a game has to involve listing the game itself among things that the
user could install.  Just listing scummvm among things that the user
could install does not seem to get there.

But I think it would be better not to include scummvm in the packages
of a distro.