gnu-emacs-sources

bytecomp-simplify v.5 -- simplification warns when byte compiling

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: bytecomp-simplify v.5 -- simplification warns when byte compiling
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:56:20 +1100

This is where I got to for what I mentioned on emacs-devel about the
byte compiler perhaps warning of possible simplifications in the code.
It's a bit inconvenient having to work in a "-l bytecomp-simplify.el"
when batch byte compiling, but if you only do it during development it's
not too bad.

I suppose elint.el could also do this sort of thing, but the byte
compiler seems a bit easier and has a bit better information about
what's actually code etc.

I suppose also each source simplification is an opportunity for a
byte-optimize too.  The downgrade of re-search-forward to fixed string
search-forward would probably be safe, though maybe dropping a function
call like (point-max) from such a form could miss defadvice or other
redefinition if someone was doing something very hairy.