gnu-emacs-sources

Re: A Windows style file deletion system

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: A Windows style file deletion system
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:27:38 +0200

"Davin Pearson" <address@hidden> writes:

> ;; The file trashcan.el changes the behaviour of deleting files with
> ;; the "x" key in dired mode. Instead of deleting files permanently,
> ;; which is Emacs' default behaviour, they are either moved to a
> ;; Trashcan Directory

Nice, thanks! At first I hated the Trashcan concept (under both
GNU/Linux with GNOME and under Windows). I always used Shift+Delete
because "I knew" that I wanted to delete those files. Well, that
Shift+Delete got hard wired into my system, and one beautiful morning
when I though "I knew" what I wanted to delete, I was in the wrong
folder... Ooops! Since then I have stopped using Shift+Delete and also
configured the system to not ask me (I would answer yes anyway). This
works so much better. I can use Delete safely, without an annoying
confirmation dialog, knowing that I have the latest files in the
Trashcan should I do another of those Oooops!:es.

Be the way, I did not see any setting to control the maximum number of
bytes to store in the trash. Is there a way to do that?

/Mathias