Re: [gNewSense-users] Request For Packaging: IceCat web browser

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Request For Packaging: IceCat web browser
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2019 09:54:13 -0500

I'm not sure there's any browser that "works" the way users expect.  The world
wide web has become an intractable tangle of non free software and digital
restrictions.  The internet itself is run by effective monopolies that
selfishly exploit their position to thwart competitors and invade new
markets.  I shudder to think of how non free software my wife's Chromebooks
and Android tablets spy on everyone in my house.  They light up when she
coughs in the night.  I watch her devices stutter on throttled streams and on
crash on a daily basis.  As expected, the sheep are lead to slaughter by the
strongest rustler.

Free software works better in some ways but it will never keep up with nasty
publishers.  I'm unable to watch the streams my wife is interested in with
Debian, Trisquel, or GnewSense, much less capture them for her, but have to
admit that I don't try very hard.  I'm barely able to read the news I'm
interested in by using cutycapt scripts to convert web pages to pdf.
Academic journals are placed behind nasty paywalls and can not be accessed
without new versions of Chromium browser.  I suffer the same kinds of
throttling my wife does and it has been about eight years since I've been
able to run X over ssh from my house to work.  This is the internet and world
wide web that incumbent publishers want.  It excludes freedom.