Re: [gNewSense-users] latest Intel GMA HD works with Free Software ?

From: ben
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] latest Intel GMA HD works with Free Software ?
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 23:18:49 +0100

On 01/11/2011 10:50 PM, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> ben wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to buy a new computer which should run free software only,
>> of course.
>> As for graphics, I'd like to get an Intel GMA HD Graphics ([1], more
>> specifically [2]).
>
> I think only the GMA 500 (aka Poulsbo) is not compatible with free
> software. The Intel drivers in gNewSense are pretty old, so they may not
> work well with new hardware. I don't have detailed information about
> compatibility.

Thanks for your answer.
It is indeed because of the Poulsbo disaster that I ask before buying.

In the mean time I have also found a report about the mobile version of
the cpu/gpu combination [a]. It says that it works well with Debian Squeeze.

Greetings,
ben

[a] http://blog.josefsson.org/2010/10/25/debian-on-lenovo-x201/