Re: [gNewSense-users] dual monitors with ati radeon

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] dual monitors with ati radeon
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 22:38:49 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 12/30/10, Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] dual monitors with ati radeon
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Thursday, December 30, 2010, 1:41 PM
> Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > Hi, Noob question: I'm trying to setup my monitors
> through
> > gnome-display-properties so that I can stretch the
> desktop across two
> > monitors.  But I'm running into problems because
> any time I try to
> > set the resolution above 640x480 and click "Apply"
> either the second
> > monitor shuts off completely, or the 1st monitor's
> output is just
> > cloned to the second. I looked online for any
> information, but most
> > of what I found was about laptops + external monitor
> or really odd
> > setups.  I'm running deltah 2.3 with an ati
> radeon 300SE*.  Any
> > advice or links to resources?
>
> I believe the Radeon driver in gNewSense is not (fully)
> functional because of non-free firmware that was removed.
> You may be using a more generic driver that doesn't support
> 2 monitors. Executing this command in a terminal gives you
> an idea about which driver you're using:
>
> grep drivers /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Thanks, I get:
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so

At 640x480 on both monitors, it actually is successful and I get a
continuous desktop across the monitors.  But any other combination of
resolutions either shuts one of the monitors off or clones it.

-Jonathan