[gNewSense-users] Packaging (was: Yacy, Tor and Freenet in gNewSense-mip

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Packaging (was: Yacy, Tor and Freenet in gNewSense-mipsel)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:58:47 +0100

Freemor schreef:
Speaking of this.. (maintaining packages for gNewSense) I'd love to
maintain a package.... If:

Excellent.

1.) There is a clear guide some place on how to do it correctly

Not much documentation on our wiki, but there are some references [1]. I believe Karl is in the process of setting up a proper infrastructure. Once that's ready we can write some documentation for it for all to learn.

2.) There is a mentor that I can e-mail If I get totally stuck

We don't have many people who are really well versed in packaging. I suggest mailing to the gnewsense-dev list or asking in #gnewsense-dev (IRC) so that everybody can learn from your questions. If you read the documentation I referred to your questions are guaranteed to be intelligent. :)

3.) The package is not being developed at a rate that would require me
to repackage it every week (my life sometimes gets busy).

I believe there are some requests for packaging in our bug reports, e.g. [2].

Now so that people answering know a bit about me. I understand and have
skill with compiling from source. I'm have a good technical background
and can solve most problems myself (my main reason for wanting a guide
is to be sure that I don't miss any of the finer nuances required for a
package meant for the masses.)

If things  go well with me taking on a package perhaps gNS should
consider an "adopt a package" program where people can become
maintainers for packages that either need tweaking for gNS (say to
ensure freedom) or are in demand but not in the repository.

I'm sure your journey from packaging newbie to guru will provide insight into what is needed to set up such a program.

[1] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Documentation/DevSources
[2] https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?28202