Re: [gNewSense-users] Added item to HowToHelp page

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Added item to HowToHelp page
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:02:04 +0100

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Bake Timmons <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I added the following item to http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/HowToHelp :
>>
>> * Help promote gNewSense in the media, such as on Wikipedia
>
> I dont think Wikipedia should be refered to as "the media". its not a
> media outlet.
> kk

I was probably thinking of media in a larger sense.  What about

* Help promote gNewSense in the media and in other venues, such as Wikipedia

?

I should note that I just have completed a round of edits on
Wikipedia and am now consulting with the FSF on a somewhat subtle
issue.  Although this work risks being somewhat ephemeral, given the
propensity of opponents to quickly counter or roll back edits, I hope
some things stick.

It's funny and yet scary how elaborate some of the tactics again free
software can be.  For example, on an article about the "GNU/Linux
naming controversy", there is a section making a *big deal* about how
to pronounce "GNU/Linux".  To me, it is an obvious parody, overloaded
with strings and strings of phonetic symbols, IMO intending to
discredit free software by saying "look how loony the free software
crowd is."  Of course, within a mere *20 minutes* of me trimming some
of the redundant material, the junk was promptly restored.

I will not at all get personal about any Wikipedia stuff, but I cannot
help but ask, does it surprise anyone that the user that reverted my
change just *happens* to be a highly active member of
WikiProject Microsoft Windows, etc., etc.?  %^)

FWIW, I will try to come to some kind of agreement with that dude.
Still--I cannot help it, HAHAHA!

Don't get too worried about it, there are always going to be trolls.
It's better to spend time on good publicity and freedom, than fighting internet battles.

Brian