Re: [gNewSense-users] Trademarks In gNewSense and the status of the CDDL

From: Markus Laire
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Trademarks In gNewSense and the status of the CDDL License
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:00:12 +0200

Kevin Dean wrote:
I've been bouncing e-mails back and forth between Joerg Shilling
pertaining to the cdrecord issues that have been raised several times.

Essentially, we've worked the issue down as far as we can go and I
think we both clearly understand each other.

> <SNIP>

If gNewSense accepts this license then it means by upgrading cdrtools
we can close a bug - newer versions of cdrtools have moved to a CDDL
license solving the issue with the build system and the CDDL
specifically grants authors the right to require modified versions not
use any trademarks.

What about the question whether Joerg Shilling had the right to change the license from GPL to CDDL or not?

I seem to remember that when this was discussed in Debian's mailing-lists, there was a comment that Joerg Shilling didn't have the right to change the license from GPL to CDDL for some parts of the code, for which he isn't the only Copyright-holder.

--
Markus Laire