Re: [gNewSense-users] Bug (non-free software)

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Bug (non-free software)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:45:55 +1030

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 12:53 +0800, Peter Rock wrote:
> Sorry yes near the bottom of the file. here is the text I'm concerned about...

> NON-FREE:
>
> The following programs have restrictions on their use or source:
>
> hpcdtoppm package:
> ==================
> hpcdtoppm pcdindex
>
> *  Copyright (c) 1992, 1993, 1994 by Hadmut Danisch (address@hidden).
> *  Permission to use and distribute this software and its
> *  documentation for noncommercial use and without fee is hereby granted,
> *  provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
> *  both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
> *  supporting documentation. It is not allowed to sell this software in
> *  any way. This software is not public domain.
> --------------------------
>
> Above this is a heading stating programs in the package that were not
> included due to patent issues. But then there is a clear break and
> this text comes up. So I'm not sure if this means hpcdtoppm is or
> isn't included.

I cant find the package at p.u.c -
http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin//search_packages.pl?version=dapper&subword=1&exact=&arch=any&releases=all&case=insensitive&keywords=netpbm&searchon=names

theres one wich is 'netpbm', so i'm going to talk to that.

I extracted netpbm and it looks clean - if one of the supporting
packages holds those two binaries it may still be a problem.

address@hidden:/tmp/netpbm/usr$ ls bin/ |grep -e hpcdtoppm -e pcdindex

kk