ghm-discuss

[Ghm-discuss] Fwd: Re: Possible GHM 2018 accommodation

From: Ander Juaristi
Subject: [Ghm-discuss] Fwd: Re: Possible GHM 2018 accommodation
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 10:29:29 +0100

Forgot to forward to list.

-------- Mensaje Original --------
Asunto: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Possible GHM 2018 accommodation
Fecha: 2018-01-10 10:27
De: Ander Juaristi <address@hidden>
Destinatario: John Darrington <address@hidden>
Responder a: address@hidden

Not much, really.

From the last time I posted my spreadsheet here, I contacted 7-10 new places (can't remember the exact number, but something on the lines).

I failed to update the shared TXT so I apologise for that. Let me summarize the current status here.

The landscape is a bit disappointing, to be honest. There are lots of 4- and 5-star hotels in the city, as well as tiny B&B youth hostels, but there doesn't seem to be nothing in between. 4- and 5-star hotels are expensive. The cheapest one I've found charges 180€/night.

All of the B&B hostels I've found (and I've seen many), such as the "A Room in the City" and the "Downtown River" mentioned early in this thread, require you to sleep in a shared room with *at least* 4 people. You said, John, that a 4-star hotel isn't something you're against but would definitely make a very different GHM. Well, that's my posture in this case too: I'm not entirely against this kind of B&Bs, but bear in mind it would also make a very different GHM. In addition, most of these places expect guests to cook their own food, and none of them has a meeting room or a similar place where talks can be given.

Then, excluding the B&Bs, from the 7-10 new places I contacted, half of them have less than 6 rooms. They're small hotels, they can serve food, etc. But as I said, just 6 rooms the biggest of them. I don't think hosting the people over them all is an option because these places are scattered all around the area (most of them in small villages). Furthermore, I don't think they have a place where a talk can reasonably be arranged in front of a group of people.

For the other half, I've discarded some places for several reasons. For one specific place, an answering machine told me they were closed until March 31 and there was no other way to contact them. Others rejected my proposal, either arguing they were full or that they were simply not interested in hosting an event (looks like tourism is giving far more money).

So my list of places is now basically narrowed down to three:

- There's a place (not in the city but in a nearby town) that seems a good fit at first sight. I contacted them back in early December and they were interested a priori, but told me they would need to know the exact dates (even though I told them initially I didn't care much about the dates as long as it took place on a summer weekend). I proposed them 31 August to 2 September and told me they would not arrange events those days. Then I proposed them 18 to 20 May and told me they were fully booked those days. The only option I have is to continue begging them their available dates ("Please, please tell me which days you're free and I will choose among them"), which I did in the beginning and didn't seem to work. - I asked for exact prices to two other hotels in the city. They're located quite far from the centre, and that makes me think they'll be cheaper than the others. I wrote them both on 18th December, and since then got some mails from internal sales reps telling me they were working on it, **but no reply yet**. FYI, I screened these hotels in person before writing to them, just to see whether they would be interested in hosting the event and they both said definitely yes. I just wrote them saying I need the info ASAP.

If the above options don't work in the end then I guess I won't be able to offer anything but just a meeting room (my employer would probably be happy to arrange that) and GHM would have to take place as it was done in previous years: we just provide the talks and the venue, and let people on their own for accommodation and food.

Regards,
- AJ