ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] GCC talks at the GNU Hackers Meeting?

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] GCC talks at the GNU Hackers Meeting?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 18:02:01 +0200

Hello Iain.  I'm adding ghm-discuss in Cc.  I think we shouldn't follow
up on gcc@ any more at this point.  Let's not bother the hardworking
compiler masters :-).

On 2013-06-24 at 01:15, Iain Buclaw wrote:

> I did a similar such talk at DConf 2013 with my GCC front-end for the
> D programming language (GDC).  Not sure if would be relevant a GCC
> conference, but I could think about some of the challenges I've faced.
> :o)

I for one would be very interested.

Well, the conference is about GNU in general, so many people will not be
particularly familiar with GCC internals.  I, for example, have some
knowledge about the general architecture but don't actually know the
API, and have never attempted any non-trivial modification to the GCC
source base.  Some people will be more familiar than me, others even
less; but I don't think that it's a serious problem if a few talks are
less accessible than others.  I like Einstein's phrase "as simple as
possible, but not simpler".  If needed we can make a GCC session or an
"advanced" session, and schedule all such talks close together for the
public's sake.

Your talk could follow Philip's, I suppose, since if I understood
correctly Philips wanted to talk about frontends in general, and you
more specifically about the frontend of D.  What do you think, Philip?
We can certainly have both talks, but I think it would be better if we
tried not to say the same things twice.

> In any case, I would be interested in attending this - just to get a
> better feel of the community, as a definite future goal would be to
> get the D front-end merged into GCC proper as an officially supported
> language.

Of course, welcome.  I've registered you and added your talk to the
web page.  Please register to ghm-discuss at
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ghm-discuss .

Philip, I'm waiting for your confirmation before adding you to the
official page as well; we can write "to be confirmed" if you want.

Thanks,

--
Luca Saiu
Home page:   http://ageinghacker.net