ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012

From: Rick C. Hodgin
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 15:16:47 -0400

True. Yet every speech RMS gives on GNU and free software he brings up the kernel history, and explains that it's still not working yet.

To me, I would suggest the following be discussed in their entirety as primary topics:

1) Is it worth completing the HURD? If not, do we abandon it and go monolithic? 2) Once our kernel is complete (or abandoned), what will our GNU Distribution be called?
3)  What is our time frame for completion?

If I could attend, I'd be happy to present on all of these. They are the overall state of GNU in everybody's eyes.

I can't tell you how many people I've discussed the GNU project, its inception, RMS's goals, etc., and I get to the point where the kernel was begun in 1991 and it still isn't finished. Most everybody immediately turns their head or averts their eyes as if to say "Does not sound like a good project. It's how many years later and their core-most feature still isn't working? Scary."

The kernel should be re-evaluated into a very, very high priority for GNU's reputation and the completion of RMS's original goals.

And, FWIW, I think you'll find the FSF doesn't list the kernel as a high priority any longer because it's failed so many times and RMS has essentially given up on it because nobody seems to be able to make it work properly.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin