[gfsd] Re: iozone license free or non-free

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [gfsd] Re: iozone license free or non-free
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:24:19 -0400

            It may not meet the GPL open source level, but  ALL of
        Iozone is provided at a cost of $0 (zero)  All source code
        is provided for  $0 (zero) and redistribution is at a cost
        of $0 (zero), and I have never even charged anyone for support.
        So... it is "Free"

"Free" in "free software" refers to freedom, not price.
(See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html for the definition.)
So think of "free speech", not "free beer".

Iozone is gratis, but it is not free software.

                            but not does not meet the open source requirements.

Our requirements are for free software, not open source.  We have been
campaigning for the freedom to share and change software since 1983.
The open source campaign split off from the free software movement in
1998, and its definition of open source is derived from our
preexisting criteria for free software.

For more explanation about the difference, see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.