Re: [gfsd]Re: CLISP on GNU directory and GNU web pages

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: [gfsd]Re: CLISP on GNU directory and GNU web pages
Date: 24 May 2002 12:21:04 -0400

> * In message <address@hidden>
> * On the subject of "Re: [gfsd]Re: CLISP on GNU directory and GNU web pages"
> * Sent on Fri, 24 May 2002 10:20:20 -0400
> * Honorable "Bradley M. Kuhn" <address@hidden> writes:

> > > The categories were problematically configured in a number of
> > > different ways.  We have resolved that problem.  Janet has some
> > > updates to do in the directory, but when we roll out the new interface
> > > this week, with her data changes, this should be solved.
> >
> > a week later, still the same problem.
>
> We've reworked the directory layout, and there is still some cruft
> floating around from the old interface, and that URL leads to that cruft.
> The new direct URL for the LISP category is:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/directory/Software_development/Programming_languages/LISP_programming_language/

ouch -- is it too late to change this to something easier to type, like
<http://www.gnu.org/directory/dev/lang/lisp/> ?!

> We'll try to clear out that cruft today.  The old URL can't work.  One
> main problem was that the old HTML generation was completely flat, but
> it needs to be hierarchical due to name conflicts.

there is another issue here: this category lists _only_ CLISP!
while the directory structure is up to you, CLISP should be in the same
directory as GCL: both are compilers for the same language.
either both should be in the compiler section, or both should be in the
lisp section, or, best of all -- have them in both places!

if your categorization limits a program to a singe category, then the
categorization is hard to use, as nicely exemplified by the CLISP & GCL
being placed in different categories.  it's OK to have one "primary"
category and several "secondary" ones.  then GCC will have "compiler"
as its primary category and "C/C++", "Java" &c as secondary ones.
CLISP/GCL/CMUCL will have "Lisp" as primary and "compiler",
"interpreter" and "debugger" as secondary.
Maxima will have "symbolic math" as primary and "lisp" as secondary.
then each category will have a "primary" list and a "secondary" list.

also, you put `autoclass' under
<http://www.gnu.org/directory/Software_development/Programs_for_small_specific_development_tasks/autoclass.html>
while it should go under <math/stat>.

> > > Someone is working on a search utility tonight.  We expect to have
> > > something workable with the roll-out this week.
> > a week later, still the same problem.
>
> No, not the same problem.  However, it was a problem that might seem
> the same to the end user.  Our index.html of the new system wasn't
> being generated properly, and the old one was still in place.  This is
> now fixed.

indeed!
thanks!

> You'll likely note that GCL and Maxima are not listed at the new URL
> quoted above.  Janet can update GCL and Maxima to be in the Lisp
> Programming Language category.  Once she does that, 24 hours later
> (depending on when she does it), the online directory will be updated.

GCL and CLISP belong together -- whenever one goes there goes the other.

CMUCL is in that category too, being in the public domain, it should be
mentioned in the GNU directory. see <http://cmucl.cons.org/cmucl/>.

I think that all three should be mentioned in _both_ <dev/lang/lisp> and
<dev/comp> (for compilers).

Maxima should be mentioned in _both_ <math/sym> and <dev/lang/lisp>.

> However, please realize that we in the USA are about to start a
> holiday weekend, so please think twice before sending us a message to
> say it hasn't been done.  It might be next Wednesday before the HTML
> is updated, in the case that Janet doesn't get to it today and does it
> on Tuesday after the holiday.

I always wait for a full week before complaining.
(I live in Boston and we met during the last USENIX).

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.2 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>