[gfsd]Re: freshmeat.gnu.org?

From: address@hidden
Subject: [gfsd]Re: freshmeat.gnu.org?
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:25:28 +0000

Hi,

I'm switching to address@hidden as Loic suggested
me.

And here is in brief my wish.
Freshmeat is cool, but belongs to VA Soft that is
becoming less and less free.
There are good free alternatives to sourceforge.net,
including savannah.
But as far as I know, there is nothing such freshmeat.net.
So if possible, I would like to contribute to making
something like freshmeat.net, but hosted somewhere really
free (like gnu.org, fsf.org and others).

I first asked on address@hidden and i was answered
that the Free Software Directory
(http://www.gnu.org/gnulist/production/index.html) is
already existing.
But that's rather GNU software directory, isn't it?
Moreover, what I like most on freshmeat.net (and
jesuislibre.org, but French only) is to have the list of
recent updates. And to have something like a record for
each piece of software including the homepage, the
download page, the version number, a screenshot if
possible, a cvsweb if possible...

Well, is there something already existing that could
become the free freshmeat? Or do we have to make it?
How can I contribute? Is there anybody interested too
that I should meet?

Yves

> Yves writes:
>  > Hi!
>  >
>  > You know freshmeat.net, and have heard about the
problems on
>  > sourceforge.net (new policy statment) and VA
software corp.
>  >
>  > In discussions on the French web site linuxfr.org
(and probably other
>  > discussions forums), it was said that there was no
equivalent to
>  > freshmeat.net that realy guarantees freedom.
>
>       There is the Free Software Directory.
>
>       http://www.gnu.org/gnulist/production/index.html
>
>  > So here is my question. Why doesn't it exist? Is it
because nobody
>  > launched the project? Is it because of a lack of
time? Is it because it
>  > would not fit for technical reasons on gnu.org or
fsf.org? Is it because
>  > it would not fit for philosophical reasons? Other
reasons? Is the project
>  > already started? Is it even existing and I don't
know it?
>  >
>  > Well, I'm asking this because if I knew why, maybe I
could give my

address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
http://www.dachary.org/loic/gpg.txt

--
homepage - http://ymettier.free.fr                   -
MyAM     - http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/myam/     -

Profitez de l'offre spéciale Tiscali Liberty Surf !
50% de temps en plus pendant 3 mois sur tous les forfaits Internet.

http://register.libertysurf.fr/subscribe_fr/signup.php3