[gfsd]Re: GCC, g++ entries in Free Software Directory

From: Joe Buck
Subject: [gfsd]Re: GCC, g++ entries in Free Software Directory
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:05:39 -0800 (PST)

Gerald Pfeifer writes:
> http://www.gnu.org/directory/g++.html
>
>  o Why do you claim "this is not a GNU package"? It is part of GCC, so at
>  least that should read "it is part of a GNU package".
>
>  o Please use "GCC" instead of "gcc" to refer to the package.

I don't think that the "g++.html" page should be a full page.  It should
just say that this name refers to the C++ compiler that is part of GCC,
and then point the user to the gcc.html page and say nothing else.

> http://www.gnu.org/directory/gcc.html

>  o Please remove "glibc and binutils" from "Use requirements". These are
>  only required on GNU systems, not in general, and GCC is available for
>  dozens of platforms.

It's not that simple; an assember, a linker, and a C library are always
required.

I would suggest writing

Use requirements:
        compatible assember, linker, and C library
        (for GNU systems: binutils and glibc)