[gfsd]GNU xhippo directory entry

From: Adam Sampson
Subject: [gfsd]GNU xhippo directory entry
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 23:09:11 +0000

Hiya.

I've got a few updates to make to the directory entry for xhippo---apologies
for batching these all up together, but I hadn't looked at the directory for a
while...

- The "Source code" link is incorrect; xhippo's now on ftp.gnu.org, so the URL
  should be "ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/xhippo/";.

- I no longer use Linuxdoc and sgmltools to build the manual; instead I use
  texinfo, and I've added id3lib support, so the "Packages useful to install"
  entry should read "texinfo, automake, autoconf, id3lib".

- The description is somewhat out of date; I'd suggest that it should now read:

Xhippo is a generic playlist manager program that works with mpg123, madplay,
bplay, timidity, tracker, xmp, s3mod and almost any other command-line player.
It automatically decides which player to use depending on a file's extension;
the defaults are set in a config file. It uses textual playlist files, which
are compatible with XMMS and other audio players, and can be easily generated
with standard command-line tools. It also supports GTK drag-and-drop; you can
drop files or directories into xhippo from any file manager supporting the
standard protocol (gmc, Konqueror and ROX-Filer all work). Xhippo can
optionally read ID3 tags in MP3 files using id3lib, and has a variety of
playlist randomisation and sorting features.  It supports GNU gettext
localisation and comes with English and German translations.

- The contributors list is somewhat incomplete; the complete set of
  contributors is now:

Volker Assmann
Hubert Feyrer
Jeff Covey