Re: [gfsd]question

From: Janet Casey
Subject: Re: [gfsd]question
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:03:53 -0400

   I would like to volunteer for teh GNU project and the FSF.

Great! Thank you!

   I read the info on the 'how to help' page and I came across the 'volunteer
   to help compile a directory of known free SW'.

   I can not comprehend what exactly this task may entail. I would like to be
   involved from a developer side as at present I am a Computer Science
   student.
   Does this task involve any SW development or should I look at different
   tasks and projects available?

The Directory is live at http://www.gnu.org/directory/listing.html;
information on how to help can be found at
http://www.gnu.org/directory/help.html#adding-entries

The development help we most need right now is to write a Web
interface so that developers can enter entries themselves. We also
need help with the interface (UI) and with the scripts that generate
the site from the text files entered into CVS. The scripts are written
in perl; the Web interface would either be perl or possibly php3 (not
php4, as it's not acceptably free).

I don't know what your programming interests are, If you could help
out on this project, it would be greatly appreciated. If your
interests lie elsewhere, you can contact <address@hidden> which stands
for GNU Volunteer Coordinator- this is the person who has the complete
list of what needs to be done. he can almost certainly find you
something that you would enjoy working on.

   Thank you for your time,

Thank you for offering to help!

Janet Casey
Free Software Foundation