Re: [gfsd]The Free Software Directory and helping out.

From: Janet Casey
Subject: Re: [gfsd]The Free Software Directory and helping out.
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:31:22 -0400

           Sorry that it took so long to respond.  We are getting ready for a
   major aerospace tradeshow at work.

No problem.

           Well, I have to be honest.  It doesn't really matter to me.  I am
   technically inclined.  I worked as a Sysadmin and developer for 3 years at
   a University and I've spent the last year working for Honeywell Aerospace
   as a developer.  I can code in C, C++, Perl, Java, Lisp, Scheme, and
   Tcl/TK (the last one only if I had to though, it has been a while.)
   Anyhow, I know SQL and HTML if you want database driven webpages.  It
   wouldn't take me long to pickup PHP if you wanted it.  (it's kind of like
   perl after all.)

It sounds lke you are really well rounded. The best way we could use
you skills would be to write the Web interface, esp. if you know SQL
maybe we could do something with more functionality that we had
originally intended.

We use php3 as v. 4 is not acceptably free. I've looked at it and it
seems like it would be quite easy to learn, and a Web
programmer/designer friend of mine who started out a regular
programmer (as opp. to Web work) likes it very much, and it is
becoming extremely popular, so that might be in the future.

           I can also write docs.  I helped with the initial version of the
   GNU Privacy Guard Manual.  So I guess what I am saying is, tell me where
   you think you need me most, and that is where I will see if I can get some
   work done for you.

It would be a *big* help if you caould documennt what you do for
us. The volunteers we have now are great, but I know at some point
they will move on and docs to make the transition easier for the next
volunteers would be great.

Janet Casey
Free Software Foundation
http://www.gnu.org