[gfsd]Re: Cobol missing on webpages and non-existent links.

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [gfsd]Re: Cobol missing on webpages and non-existent links.
Date: 23 Feb 2001 21:50:22 -0500

Paul Visscher <address@hidden> writes:

> Hugo Gayosso address@hidden said:
> > Case #1
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/software
> >
> > Doesn't list the project: "Cobol for GCC" at:
> > <http://www.gnu.org/software/cobol>
>
> Something weird is happening with /software/software.html - Emacs is
> telling me that it is a read-only buffer, but:
>
> address@hidden [03:01pm] /var/www/software$ ls -lF software.html
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 jonas    www         64242 Feb 19 14:48 software.html
>
> I'm not sure why it is like this.

Mark already explained about the web and CVS.

You can find more documentation at:

https://savannah.gnu.org/savannah.html

If you have further problems, contact address@hidden

> The Cobol for GCC page has no contact information(other than address@hidden
> and address@hidden) and there was no mention of cobol in
> fencepost:/gd/gnuorg/maintainers. I followed a link from
> http://www.gnu.org/software/cobol/gnu-cobol.html to SourceForge and
> found that Tim Josling is the project admin; I've CCed him on this
> message.
>
> I don't think we want GNU projects hosted on sourceforge---isn't that
> what savannah.gnu.org is for?

It is up to the maintainers, but of course if the software is part of
the GNU Project, we would love to host it at Savannah, that helps in
several ways including giving a sense of a unified GNU system instead
of scattered GNU Tools.

So we like to encourage the maintainers to migrate to Savannah, and
the savannah-hackers are working on making the transition painless.

> > Case #3
> >
> > There is nothing related to COBOL in the Free Software Directory, and
> > there are at least three projects that can be seen at the pages
> > previously mentioned.
>
> I've never done anything with the Free Software Directory. Should the
> webmasters be filling out templates for the GNU software?

There is a mailing list for reporting bugs in the FSD, I sent a copy
of my initial message there, but one person replied that they would do
it if I send the entry, so I don't really know if it makes any sense
to have that bug reporting email address, so if you can send this
entry I really would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help making GNU better!

Greetings,
- --