[gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)

From: Free Software Foundation
Subject: [gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:54:56 -0500

>   Web Page:
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/binutils.html

I spoke with the binutils folks this week, and I believe they are working to
fix the site.

>   Regarding the mailing list.......oops I couldn't find one, sorry.

Often, when I can't find a mailing list, I just search for the program name
in /com/mailer/aliases.  In this case, I think the mailing list is
<address@hidden>.

> Ok, I decided to look a little further, I found:

> I visited it and:
>
>   + it is not ordered alphabetically,
>
>   + It doesn't reflects all the mailing lists that we really have, it
>     doesn't even have a link to: http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo

I have been looking for ways to fix this.  Ultimately, I believe is simply
going to be the case that not every GNU-related mailing list will be hosted
at gnu.org, so referring people to http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ is
not going to be enough.

Therefore, about a week ago, I submitted a patch to the Free Software
Directory file format so that it would include all the information needed to
build what currently is on /prep/mailinglists.html.  Since people are
working hard to keep the Free Software Directory accurate, we could write a
simple Perl program to build the "list of mailing lists" from the Free
Software Directory files.

I have been waiting to hear back from the Free Software Directory folks if
they will be able to keep track of this information.  I have not yet heard
back from them.  I have cc'ed them here, in hopes of a response.

> Sorry if I shouldn't be raising my concerns to you, but I don't know to
> who else do it, all I want is that the GNU Project gets better, it is not
> a rant against somebody or some group specifically.

It isn't taken that way.  We all want the "list of mailing lists" to be
better, and for the web site to be better.  It's not someone's fault; it's
just do to lack of time.  Point out such problems is the first step in
getting them fixed.

Hopefully, the Free Software Directory folks can get back to us soon about
the mailing list issue.

> What about that project of setting up a SourceForge-like website?

I have been wondering about this, too.  RMS had someone working on it, but I
don't know the status.  RMS?

At this point, I have noticed that many GNU projects have switched to
sourceforge, because we didn't the equivalent.  We need to act soon, or when
we do get something up, no one will use it.

--
Bradley M. Kuhn
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942