gcmd-users

Re: [gcmd-usr] Problems building latest version

From: R. Diez
Subject: Re: [gcmd-usr] Problems building latest version
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 22:21:58 +0100

Regarding the error with GLib, there is a solution another user posted
on the internet(*): try the command (as root)

glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

Then, gnome-commander should start normally.

This did not work for me, probably because I did not want to install gnome-commander as root and risk overwriting system files. I built it from and installed it to a directory under $HOME .

I managed to start it by using environment variable GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR. You can get more information, including how to fix your application to run from a directory under $HOME, on this page:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/251712/how-can-i-install-a-gsettings-schema-without-root-privileges

I got the following warning, so I expect that something will not work properly:

(gnome-commander:4721): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Failed to activate daemon: The name org.gnome.GnomeVFS.Daemon was not provided by any .service files

I am however more worried about the following, which is still the same in version 1.6.2:

"I immediately missed the standard Ctrl+L keyboard shortcut in order to paste a directory path to go to. I also noticed that you cannot edit the /home/user path displayed over the file panes."

I also missed the file compression options that Xubuntu's version of gnome-commander has. It is probably because of the "File Roller" plug-in. I guess I have to find that plug-in myself for the new version, and compile it, because at least that plug-in seems to be a shared object. Or maybe I did not configure gnome-commander properly before building it. I had to look around, as it wasn't mentioned in the README. It's all too much work.

Regards,
  rdiez