gcmd-users

[gcmd-usr] gnome-commander's Next Step

From: Micha
Subject: [gcmd-usr] gnome-commander's Next Step
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:06:08 +0200

http://www.unmaintained-free-software.org/wiki/Gnome_Commander

---snip---

Piotr Eljasiak. Just before Marcus "left the stage" he moved the project
CVS to gnome.org.

---snap---

I wonder if gcmd has to be seen as 'gnome app'.
I mean, gcmd is running very well outside of any gnome session, and
Gnome has Nautilus anyway.

Perhaps gcmd could profit from becoming a 'independent' tool.
As virtual government-desktop-cluster-installation admin, i'd put
'standard apps' on board to let people with unpredictable linux
experience have some simple tools they may be familiar with, even if
they may not often use them - like xterm, top, or telnet.  A smart
'extensible filemanager' could add well to the collection. If you think
of sylpheed, it started as laughable gtk-1 mailer but it has become not
only quite mature, but very featureful, and it is very widespread today.
And it's still gtk-1, works with plugins, and offers interfaces to user
script actions.

btw. the GNUStep desktop environment lacks any usable filemanager
AFAICS.

What would you say, is gmcd really gnome specific ?

Dependencies of 1.0.1 are

gdk-imlib1
libart2
libaudiofile0
libc6
libdb3
libesd0
libesd-alsa0
libfam0c102
libgconf11
libgdk-pixbuf2
libglib1.2
libgnome-vfs0
libgnome32
libgnomesupport0
libgnomeui32
libgtk1.2
liboaf0
liborbit0
libpopt0
libstdc++5
libwrap0
libxml1
oaf
xlibs
zlib1g
fam

Would the deps urge me to install more of Gnome, even if i don't
like to ?