gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Fixing compilation warnings: Volunteers wanted

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Fixing compilation warnings: Volunteers wanted
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 08:05:08 +0200

Hi!

You might already have noticed that there accour literally hundreds of
warnings when compiling Gnome Commander. These warnings can sometimes
lead to bugs or even tell us that parts of libraries are used which
are not supported anymore. Also, Linux distributions don't like to
distribute packages with compilation warnings.

To overcome that problem I created the branch ConvertWarningsToErrors
some days ago:
https://github.com/gcmd/gnome-commander/commits/ConvertWarningsToErrors

This branch is derived from the master branch. The first commit in the
new branch is 2ecd245(*). Here, I set up configure.ac and all Makefiles
to convert GCC Warnings into compiling errors. This will force us to fix
each warning to successfully compile Gcmd in the end.

*I'm asking for volunteers here to help me hunting down all warnings.*
Making a first start is pretty easy:

git clone https://github.com/gcmd/gnome-commander.git
cd gnome-commander
git checkout ConvertWarningsToErrors
./autogen.sh
make

Provided you have installed all packages Gcmd depends on, the
compilation will stop at the first GCC warning. Now it is your turn to
fix it. If you don't know how to fix it but you want to see other
warnings and hunt them, temporarily switch of the warning-to-error
conversion:

./autogen.sh --enable-compile-warnings=yes
make

Fix the warnings in separate Git commits and send them as a patch to me
via email, or, idealy, create a fork of the Github Gcmd repo and create
a pull request on the github webpage.

Together we can do it!

Best
Uwe