gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] GNOME Commander 1.2.8 released

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] GNOME Commander 1.2.8 released
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 01:49:09 +0200

Hey Piotr!

Wow, so soon after the 27 release, you must have worked like maniac !

a little review

> Bug fixes:
>  * Fixed problem #375357 (crash when cancelling calculation of dir
> properties)

worx

>  * Fixed problem #536446 (file name not focused for in-place renaming)

worx

>  * Fixed problem #539812 (crash when deleting files: broken it.po)
>  * Fixed problem #548947 (non-UTF8 locale date problem)
>  * Fixed problem #548948 (crash when home directory contains non-UTF8
> characters)
>  * Fixed problem #548961 (support for input method when rename or
> quicksearch)

i'm not sure what it means. keyboard layout switches ? languages switches ?
there's no rightclick menu ASAICS

>  * Fixed problem #554586 (AC_PROG_CXX macro problem)
>  * Fixed problem #554598 (GNOME Goal: LINGUAS)
>  * Fixed problem #556664 (bookmarks can not be saved for mounted
> devices)

wrx

>  * Fixed problem #556836 (pane scrolling when moving between panes)

wrx

>  * Fixed problem #567404 (crash when INSERT pressed over subdir)

wrx

>  * Fixed problem #567506 (slow startup for systems with many users)
>  * Fixed problem #570727 (usage of deprecated gnome_url_show)
>  * Fixed problem #571239 (replacing obsoleted GnomeColorPicker with
> GtkColorButton)
>  * Fixed problem #571247 (replacing obsoleted GnomePixmap with GtkImage)
>  * Fixed problem #571558 (replacing deprecated GNOME_STOCK_* buttons
> with GTK_STOCK_* counterparts)
>  * Fixed problem #576174 (case insensitive file name sorting in non
> en_US.utf8 locale)

great ! ^^

>  * Fixed problem #579633 (accessing administrator privileges with
> gksudo)

btw how would gcmd work under kde ?

i installed a ubuntu clone (linux mint) yesterday, just to update myself once
more.
Looks like they use a wrapper to select gksu or kdesu depending on the
environment.
Well, that's a task for the distribution, we have for example the debian
'alternatives', and then apps would choose the generic 'system' default

>  * Fixed problem #583135 (disabled 'Go to' button in search dialog)

btw it produced a crash when i searched for any file from dir /tmp/orbit, but
re-adjusted the search dir to /tmp

>  * Fixed problem #583711 (crash when pressing ESC in bookmark dialog)

wrx

>  * Fixed problem #584727 (wrong positioning of file popup menu)

what was that ? never noticed

>  * Fixed problem with setting equal pane size in horizontal mode

it comes to my mind that using that more often would be handy.
btw howbout implementing dynamic keyboard shortcuts ?

>  * Fixed problem with refreshing MIME information after file renaming

nice ! ^^

> New features:
>  * Support for PDF metatags in advanced file rename templates

even more nice ^^

>  * Revamped advanced file rename tool (regex backreferences ('\number'),
>  profiles, upper/lowercase conversion, blanks trimming and much more)

i'm using that every day, i'll keep an eye

>  * Support for metadata tags in internal viewer

basically, great !

and a good starting point.
well, if you've ever feeling bored...:
resizing the image window (widget) would be desirable, too. Mostly, to see
image as small as possible, together with a meta tag list as long as possible

(just in preparation of the day when we can 'move' to next image via shortcut,
and then, could compare different foto settings immediately at a look)

(of course, one day to have 'check displayed tags' like in gqview...but ok, no
worry)

there's 2 widget resize grips, one in the scrollbar and the other in the image
widget edge (bottom right) but both are not enabled.

>  * Support for single-click open mode

wrx but i don't use it, so i can't tell about usability

>  * Support for row alternate background in colour themes

i hate this effect, but ok some people seem to like it

>  * New colour theme: cafezinho

nice ^^

>  * New or updated docs: de, en, es

uhm, err... docs ... ?

>  * New or updated translations: ar, cs, de, es, eu, fr, it, ja, pl,
> pt_BR, sl, sv

este trabajo está muy bueno

>  * New key bindings:
>       CTRL+E         Open the history list for the command line

great !

>  * New internal viewer key bindings:
>       T              Show metadata tags (replaces the old E)

wrx

>       ALT+ENTER      Show metadata tags

wrx,  but only one way (one time)

personally, i don't like this alt+enter here. There's no clean logic.
Alt+Enter in intview should display the same as in file list view, the whole
info thing.
meta-tags is only part of it. It could be achieved in the file properties with
't' shortcut too.
that would be more consistent, imho.

eft8

hth