gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] options configuration gets lost

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] options configuration gets lost
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:37:11 +0200

> Me uses several instances of gcmd open, on several workspaces. It happens i
> configure a new device or something, and go on working, but forget to close
> the 'configured' gcmd instance last. That means, next session, the new config
> isn't there (as it gets overwritten by the last closed one). Actually it
> happens all the time to me :)

Confirmed, gcmd hasn't support for multi-access to its cfg data at the
moment. The right solution should be to use GConf for that purpose, but
unfortunately it requires quite a lot of coding...

As a (temporary) workaround I could propose one-instance mode (OIM),
that should prevent from dozen gcmds accessing cfg simultaneously.
Besides, the tabs will eliminate the need for 'several instances of gcmd
open' ;o)

Does anybody know small GTK/Gnome C/C++ application with OIM support?

> What helps ? A 'Save' button in Options!

No, it's rather not a good idea - it does not follow Gnome HIG.

Piotr