gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] commandline bugs...

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] commandline bugs...
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 01:37:57 +0200

I use to define gnome-terminal as my default Terminal.
Accordingly, <Shift Enter> invokes a gnome-terminal just like the toolbar
button.
However, i can't make gcmd launch any command either by gnome-terminal nor by
xterm.
The Terminal also starts in the ~ always, not in the active gcmd folder, which
finally makes it completely useless.

gnome-terminal has two different ways of command execution:
       -e, --command=STRING
                 Execute the argument to this option inside the terminal.

       -x, --execute
                 Execute the remainder of the command line inside the terminal.

From an open terminal,

gnome-terminal -e mc

works as expected.

xterm OTOH has only -e and that seems to be equal to the -x above:
       -e program [ arguments ... ]
               This  option specifies the program (and its command line
arguments) to be run in the
               xterm window.  It also sets the window title and icon name to be
the basename of the
               program  being  executed  if  neither -T nor -n are given on the
command line.  This
               must be the last option on the command line.

xterm also kind of defaults to '-e' in that it would try to execute the
commandline reminder, for example, it's sufficient to say 'xterm mc'.

I propose to shift the invocation mode flag/option to user settings, if
possible (so i would define 'gnome-terminal -x' as Terminal program.)

 m°