gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] symbolic links

From: Micha
Subject: [gcmd-dev] symbolic links
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:36:37 +0200

I'm not working with these 'catalogs' features of image viewer
software, because they use to put up their specific database
and then i can't use it from anywhere else.
So i go along with creating thematic folders with subsets
of some shootings, which originally all are sorted by date and
location. In the beginning i just copied the files to additional places,
but since my imagearchive was growing very fast, and there are
also some very large files (around 50MB) i decided to move to
symlinks instead. Problem: If i rename a original, how can i have
the symbolic links updated automatically ? I think a modern
filesystem should offer a feature for that...
Anyway.
As long as there are no virtual folders....it would be nice if  Ctrl+Shift+F5
command could be applied to multiple files (seldection) ! Maybe asking
for a string with placeholders (like %f) for the new names. Or even just
taking the original filename, would be good enough.
It works in nautilus, with Ctrl+Shift+drag&drop but seems to be disabled
in gnome-commander...

It could be also, as workaround, ok to have Ctrl+Enter (inserting filename
into cmd line) working for multiple selection.
Btw. this seems shortcut to be broken, or maybe my keyboard isn't working
anymore (i'm fiddling with xorg again), can anyone confirm this ?

And second issue, i'm happy i can backup symlinks on CD/DVD too,
but sometimes the root path is not the same. For me, and this special
purpose, it would probably be better to to link relative instead of absolute.
The question for a filemanager is, should there be an option for either one ?
Else i could imagine to hack a converting plugin (should look into the
available find --exec commands for a simple shell script).

 m°