gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Metatags

From: Magnus Stålnacke
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Metatags
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 03:09:46 +0200

Piotr Eljasiak wrote:

I start with one thought about meta-tags.
I feel there is a need for viewing meta-tags only,

You'd like to have possibility to see all metatags at once, would you?
'File properties' dialog seems to be a good place for that - it
accessible via menu, RMB menu, keyboard shortcut (and possibly via
toolbar). The only problem would be that the dialog is not very big and
it is quite difficult to have all tags in one place (maybe the solution
is to use a tree). But... it comes to me that 'file properties' dialog
would not be that comfortable when one wanted to view tags of many
files. In this case IMHO it'd be better to make standalone metatags
viewer - something in tradition of Assaf's int-viewer. But even better
is just to add support for user-defined columns - where the column might
be (apart from current 'standard' cols: name, ext, size, ...) any of
known metatags. This would allow viewing metatags of many files in a way
that is coherent with current gcmd GUI. What about it?

A 2000 character IPTC description will not fit very
well to the columns... But for a collection of mp3
it could be nice to have the possibility to sort
files after Artist or Title, or sorting photos after
date or shoting location.

I think the file properties window is allmost big
enough, an Exif, IPTC or whatever tab only needs
a scrollbar, look at the attached little dump..
A standalone meta-tag viewer could also work just
fine, accessible from file-properties.

BTW. Metadata is in a way becoming much more important
than we usually think. Rasmus Fleischer, one of the persons
behind The PirateBay and the swedish "Pirate Bureau", held
a speach at the Reboot 8.0 conference under the title
"The grey commons" about the piracy war.

In this speach metadata plays an important role,
one of the headlines in this long speach is:

"Metadata, not copyrighted material, is the war on piracy's target"

And he explains it very well:

"Pirated copies will be produced, no matter the fate of file-sharing networks. [ ... ] The war against file-sharing is essentially a war against the distribution of uncopyrighted metadata, not against the distribution of copyrighted material. It is about hindering the ever-present piracy from globalizing and open indexing, pushing it back to the family and the schoolyard and the workplace. Scaling-down, not in quantity but in network scale, from peer-to-peer to person-to-person."

http://copyriot.blogspot.com/2006/06/piratbyrans-speech-at-reboot.html

It is all about finding the content that cannot be
found with ordinary tools since the content is not
text and only can be interpreted by the human mind.

PNG image