gcl-devel

Re: macOS status

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: macOS status
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 09:38:16 -0500

Greetings!

"Chun Tian (binghe)" <binghe.lisp@gmail.com> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> P.S. Now I can also build GCL 2.7.0 successfully on macOS 10.15 Catalina
> outside of MacPorts. Thanks again. However, on Sonoma where MacPorts'
> GCL 2.6.14 cannot build, GCL 2.7.0 also cannot build, saying something
> like "ALLOCATION exceeds limits" (I didn't save logs from previous
> builds, will provide more details again.)

Yes, please expect some issues as this is a major changes pre-release,
but I'm putting this out there for helpful feedback to speed the
process. 2.6.14 remains stable.  When 2.7.0 gets in Debian, my plan is
to have a stable 2.6.15 package co-installable with binary
/usr/bin/gcl26, and an alternative link setting /usr/bin/gcl allowing
the user to toggle between the two during transition.

On both versions, setting the environment variable GCL_MEM_MULTIPLE=0.1
for example limits the process to 1/10 available memory.  This should be
unnecessary, so please report where it is necessary so I might fix it.

Take care,
--
Camm Maguire                                        camm@maguirefamily.org