gcl-devel

Re: macOS status

From: Chun Tian (binghe)
Subject: Re: macOS status
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:04:56 +1100

Greetings!

On 31/01/24 03:28, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Given this unless anyone objects I will backout the readlinkat configure
> workaround and fail the build if readlinkat is not found.  We would need
> a workable substitution if we wanted a workaround in any case and do not
> have one yet.
>
> BTW, axiom, acl2, maxima, hol88, and fricas are all supported by gcl
> 2.6.14 across all Debian/Ubuntu platforms at present.  I expect some
> issues with 2.7 given the magnitude of changes, but the fricas
> developers have said they have already tried it with success.

I haven't tried to build Axiom for long time on Linux (I'm trying with
GCL 2.6.14 and Debian 12 now). On macOS, currently the only GCL version
I succeeded in building Axiom (and GCL itslef!) is GCL 2.6.12 release
(with a little Axiom patches), on Mac OS X 10.6 Server. Then the
resulting Axiom binaries can run normally on all macOS versions after
10.6, including the latest 14 (Sonoma).

> I have an old mac virtualbox which I never use except at the last point
> in gcl releases.  Nonetheless I have fired it up, and run into the
> problem that sed cannot put newlines into the replacement text.  You
> guys are surely past this point.  I know next to nothing about macosx
> versions and software installations -- perhaps you could point me to a
> hopefully painless way to upgrade this virtualbox image to the latest
> reasonable without destroying it.

The problem is that unmodified macOS cannot run in VirtualBox running on
Linux/Windows - it's forbidden by Apple. If you try to upgrade your
working macOS virtual machine to a new version by running the downloaded
macOS installer from Apple official, I'm almost 100% sure that it won't
reboot normally after the installation...

On the other hand, no matter what macOS version you have in your working
VirtualBox VM, if you can make the GCL 2.7.0 (and perhaps the 2.6.x
branch) build and run successfully, I think by large chances it may also
work on other macOS versions without any modifications.

P.S. unlike the previous case of Solaris x86, I cannot prepare for you a
VirtualBox VM image with macOS installed (for VirtualBox on Linux),
because I don't know how to do that. I simply own an Intel MacBook Pro
and then I run all macOS VMs versions ranged from 10.5 to 14 by VMware
Fusion.

--Chun