gcl-devel

Re: [Maxima-discuss] gcl-2.7.0 and unicode

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: [Maxima-discuss] gcl-2.7.0 and unicode
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 09:58:42 -0800

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 7:59 AM Camm Maguire <camm@maguirefamily.org> wrote:

> Can you give me an example of something important
> which cannot be made to work with existing gcl characters, as say maxima
> has?

There isn't any feature in Maxima which requires Unicode, so unless
I'm forgetting something, the answer is no, there isn't. I am working
on making use of Unicode characters in the pretty printer, however,
that will be optional, and disabled if the Lisp implementation doesn't
support Unicode.

If I am not mistaken, at present there aren't any Lisp or Maxima files
which contain Unicode characters, except maybe for testing Unicode
support. I seem to recall there were a few instances of Unicode quotes
or hyphens, but those weren't required, and were replaced by
equivalent ASCII characters, if I remember correctly.

Users, of course, might introduce Unicode characters in symbols,
strings, or comments -- I wouldn't want to try to prevent that.

best

Robert