gambit-announce

[Gambit-announce] ANN: Gambit 0.97.0.1 (stable) released

From: Ted Turocy
Subject: [Gambit-announce] ANN: Gambit 0.97.0.1 (stable) released
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:29:36 -0500

Gambit friends -

The first release in the stable 0.97.0.1 series of Gambit is now available at the download page on the Gambit website:

http://www.hss.caltech.edu/gambit/download.html

Documentation will be posted shortly to the documentation page, though be warned it will be a work in flux for the next few weeks.

The changes from the last 0.96 release are too numerous to mention, but here are the highlights:

* Redesigned graphical interface, upgraded from wxWindows 1.68 to 2.3.2. You'll find 0.97 will have a more modern, stable, and better-organized interface relative to 0.96. (Well, we hope you will, anyway!)
    * Algorithm improvements:
o A new algorithm for computing quantal response equilibria has been implemented, permitting computation of the correspondence for arbitrarily large lambda (or, if you live on the East Coast, arbitrarily small mu). Therefore, QreSolve is now a viable (and recommended) method for computing one Nash equilibrium, especially in games with more than two players. o The function-minimization algorithm LiapSolve has been reimplemented using algorithms from the GNU Scientific Library. Performance has been improved relative to the old version. * A new wxWindows-based window interface to the command language is provided. This replaces the MFC-based interface from 0.96 on Windows, and is entirely new for *nix. * A host of bug fixes and tweaks, hopefully making the whole more stable and efficient.

This is our first release since Gambit founder Richard McKelvey passed away, and so this series is codenamed "Legacy" in his honor. This release has been almost three years in the making, and it's quite pleasing to us to make it available for use. We hope you find it to be useful, and look forward to hearing your suggestions and bug reports.

Thanks,

The Gambit Team
address@hidden